Hosted SG Release

arsenal

Jul 13, 2016
Today we are releasing hosted SG servers. These servers allow for a host to customize certain aspects of the gameplay, as well as control who is able to join the server. This system is great for clan battles, streams, events, and just those who want to have some fun with gameplay modifications.

The gif below shows what aspects of the gameplay can be customized.

Here is an in-depth breakdown of the options within each category.

Map
  • Select which map you want to play from over two dozen choices. Note that at first a few maps may be missing from some servers, but all maps will be available in the near future once we complete upgrades to our map saving system. In the meantime, we will do our best to ensure that all the popular maps are on all the servers.
Grace Period
  • No grace period.
  • 15 seconds
  • 30 seconds
  • 1 minute
Spectating
  • Enabled
  • Disabled (players are kicked from the server once they die)
Tiering
  • Normal
  • All tier 1
  • All tier 2
  • Random (1/10 chance of a tier 2 per chest)
Deathmatch Style
  • FFA
  • Tournament
Deathmatch Threshold (how many players needed for DM to start)
  • Time expires
  • 2 players
  • 3 players
  • 4 players
Combat (select if the following secondaries are obtainable)
  • Bow
  • Rod
  • FNS
Whitelist
The host will also be able to decide if they wants to use a whitelist. Doing so will allow them to control who is able to join their game. The following screenshot shows all the commands available to manage the whitelist.

We will also be adding the ability to whitelist your entire party in the near future once our party system is complete.

How can I host a game?
For now, hosting your own game will be available to gold ranks and higher. While we would like to make this feature open to all, in order to support expansions to new regions and cover current operating costs we must encourage donations. However, anyone will be able to play in hosted games regardless of rank.

If you are a gold rank or higher you can create a hosted game by selecting the diamond sword in the SG inventory on the hub.

How can I join a hosted game?
Players can join hosted games under the hosted section of the SG inventory. When hovering on the piece of clay you will be able to see whether or not the game is public and who is hosting it. You can only join private whitelisted games if the host has invited you.

Some useful tips!
  • Stats are not logged in hosted games.
  • When hosting a game, don't leave the server until it has started. If you leave the lobby the server will reset everything in order to become available for someone else to use. We currently have a limited number of SG servers, so we need to manage resources efficiently.
  • You have 10 minutes to start the game upon creating the server. If you fail to start the game within 10 minutes, the server will automatically start if 6 or more players are online, or it will kick everyone and reset if less than 6 are online. This is again to conserve resources.
  • To start the game before 10 minutes have expired do /start, or click the enderpearl in the hotbar.
  • Anyone can view the custom settings for the game at anytime by doing /config.
  • When using hosted servers for clan battles, the host should confirm that the other clan is satisfied with the settings before starting. If the host starts and the other clan is not happy with the config, all players from that clan should leave the server before pregame ends.
  • Staff can spectate rule breakers when spectating is disabled, but they cannot spectate just in case someone breaks the rules. They can only join the server if there is a legitimate report of a rule breaker. Additionally, if a clan battle is taking place, a staff member participating in the battle cannot spectate under any circumstance. They must have an independent staff member investigate. Again this only applies to situations when spectating is disabled. If you find that a staff member is not following this policy, please report to Sr. Staff.
Clan Staff
We are also announcing the addition of clan staff. We will begin hiring staff members shortly from within our staff team. @Luke has provided the following information regarding this addition.

You, the clan community, are the building blocks to everything, clans! So, let's say, the Clan Staff, are the stabilizers. Yep, you heard right, Clan Staff! These staff members have excelled in the clan area of the community, and have proven that they know what they are doing! They are still normal staff members, but their tasks vary. They are here to help sort out issues, that clans are having, remind you of the Clan Battle rules, and enforce them where necessary. They are also your personal Clan Referees! Clan Staff are easily distinguishable on teamspeak, and on the forums! On teamspeak, Clan Staff will have a “Bow” Next to their name, and on the forums, they will have a personalized Clan Staff tag! Don’t be shy, they are here to help!

Please note, the Head of Clan Staff Luke and Brian reserve the right to overrule the decisions of Clan Staff.

Tr1cks

Mar 18, 2017
Amazing work as always from our Devs! Clans will enjoy this for sure.

Reactions: F1ox

ElmosWord

Mar 18, 2017
Hey there!

Wow this looks awesome, I'm really glad that this feature was added, I think it brings something new and fun to Orion and I think the community will love it, I personally will try to join as many of these as possible because they look really fun! I hope that this feature is successful and players enjoy it, I know I will. Great job to the Orion developers who worked on this and I can't wait to see how it goes.

I also think this would be great for clans, they would be able to customise the game to their liking which would help clans become even more popular! As well as if people just want to play with their friends, they can just host a server and play, I would love to play this with my friends, I think we'd all enjoy it and have a lot of fun playing.

Really enjoying the updates Orion is putting out and can't wait to see what the future brings for the server,

Cheers,

- Elmo

Last edited:
Reactions: F1ox and arsenal